Friday, February 27, 2009

Peace Corps Suriname

So it's official...I am leaving for Suriname on May 15th as a business advisor for the Peace Corps! It's really fascinating how this all worked out. Upon consideration of the Peace Corps I honestly ideally imagined myself working in Guyana (Suriname's neighboring country) in the business field. Since I was young I have always wanted to visit the Amazon, that is where that crazy idea came from.

After some research I realized that you need to speak Spanish in order to serve in a Spanish-speaking country, and as a result I disqualified this region of the world from my hopes and expectations. After the interview with the Peace Corps recruiter I waited anxiously for a week awaiting my nomination which tells you the region, your assignment, and the estimated date of departure - I received the news on my 24th birthday - mine was as follows:

Central / South America - Business Advising - Late May 2009

Upon being offered this nomination, I also had the choice to serve in Eastern Europe instead...of course I chose Central / South America. Definitely the best news you could hear on your birthday! What are the chances? So here I am about a year later, getting all ready to live in the rain forest for a couple of years, speaking Dutch and the local language of Sranan Tongo, living with people extremely different (culturally) than myself...and honestly I cannot wait!

So I will continue to maintain this blog throughout my Peace Corps service for all who are interested in finding out about life in the jungle...peace and much love!

Georgie

2 comments:

  1. Aloha, Jorge!

    George of the Jungle! I love it!!! Can't wait to hear about all your adventures in the jungle! Although, I will miss you very, very much! I wish you all the best in your jungle adventure! Can't wait to visit you in Suriname and say, "No me no wannee!" HAHAHAH Love you, bud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. olla dude, thats a great adventure, I want to visit the amazon too,.., so you stay in suriname? and whats your opinion about that country,.. I never hear that country before....:((

    ReplyDelete